RailHistory

A strong past

Frankfurt (Oder) Rail Transport Centre


23.10.1842

Opening of the 81 km long single track, Berlin – Frankfurt (Oder) rail route for passenger traffic

 

 

 

















 

 

 

31.10.1842

Opening of the Berlin – Frankfurt (Oder) rail route for freight transport

02.01.1857

Commissioning of the "Central Workshop,' later named Main Workshop in Frankfurt (Oder)

01.04.1910

Start of preliminary work for the construction of the switching yard (later marshalling yard). In particular, the marshalling yard took on an important role in cross-border transport to Eastern Europe.

01.06.1917

Opening of the Depot with room for 36 locomotives

08.05.1945

The rail route between Frankfurt (Oder) and Berlin is switched to broad gauge tracks thus enabling standard and broad gauge traffic.

02.09.1945

One pair of trains travels daily on the standard gauge between Frankfurt (Oder) and Berlin. The journey takes 3.5 hours.

23.05.1954

Commissioning of the Frankfurt (Oder) Border Train Station

27.01.1970

First container train from Berlin – Warsaw via Frankfurt (Oder)

03.05.2001

The FGL hump control tower in the Frankfurt (Oder) marshalling yard is torn down to make room for the construction of the Intermodal Terminal.

31.05.2003

The Intermodal Terminal in the Frankfurt (Oder) marshalling yard is connected to the track network of the Frankfurt (Oder) railway network. Intermodal Terminal transhipment areas and track installations are completed.

06.04.2005

Inauguration of the Intermodal Terminal in the Frankfurt (Oder) marshalling yard.

28.02.2009

Large areas of the marshalling yard are bought up by the City (to expand the terminal).

20.09.2010

Inauguration of the eastern track connection and handover of the newly constructed tracks at the Intermodal Terminal.


Source: Eisenbahnerfreunde "Friends of the Trains" Frankfurt (Oder)